Here is another super easy and healthy side dish to complete any weeknight meal! Phil loves sweet potatoes and prefers them baked with brown sugar, but our son and I prefer this savory, crispy version (probably because they taste more like sweet potato fries). My dad never grew sweet potatoes in his garden until 3 years ago when I was making our son’s baby food. I had several recipes with sweet potatoes and our son loved them. The next year, my dad set out to grow them and our son continues to chow down on them. He thinks that anything from “poppy’s garden” was grown just for him (because thats what we tell him) and I swear that is what makes him eat all his veggies. He adores his poppy, so of course we sometimes lie and say other veggies are from “poppy’s garden” just to get him to try them. I know we only have a limited time where this will work, so we are taking full advantage!
This is a great side to make a little extra to eat the next night or to take with lunch the next day. Reheating in the oven will allow them to crisp back up a little.
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400.
- 2. Scrub potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces.
- 3. Line baking sheet with foil to prevent sticking.
- 4. Toss potatoes with olive oil and seasonings with hands on the pan. Spread in an even layer.
- 5. Bake 25-30 minutes flipping them halfway through.