buy zovirax cold sore cream online We have served this Egg and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole several times, including last year at Christmas family brunch. Since this is a savory dish, I like to serve it with something sweet along with fresh fruit and of course coffee (and maybe mimosas too).
Last year I served this with Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake that I had baked the day before. When having company stay the night, I like breakfast items that require the least amount of prep time possible so I can spend time with our guests. This casserole, along with my Easy Breakfast Quiche, is great because you can cook the meat and veggies the day before, then toss the remaining items together the morning of and pop in the oven. Both of these breakfast dishes let you use most any meat or veggies that you have on hand. I made this casserole this morning so we could eat it all weekend (and so I could get a pic for the blog). I had breakfast sausage in the freezer and a bunch of veggies from the week in the fridge. The only ingredient I had to buy were the diced hash brown potatoes!
I normally use a red bell pepper in this casserole to give it a pop of color. This time, I had a green bell pepper, red onion, and 1/2 lb of mushrooms (leftover from the Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce I made earlier in the week). You will probably need to stick with 1 lb of some type of meat, whether it is turkey sausage or regular sausage to keep the consistency. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 medium onion, diced (red or yellow)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red or green)
- 1/2 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced (dark green only)
- 20oz of frozen diced hash browns, defrosted in fridge overnight
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 c shredded cheese, we use a mix of cheddars
- salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat of the oven to 375.
- 2. Cook sausage in skillet and drain off fat.
- 3. Remove sausage from skillet and saute veggies and garlic in the same skillet approximately 5-8 minutes.
- 4. Stir veggies into sausage and set aside to cool. Beat eggs and milk and add salt and pepper.
- 5. Add egg mixture to sausage and veggies in a large bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 6. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 20 minutes.
- 7. Let sit for 5 minutes, then top with green onions and serve.