I’ve tried several versions of overnight oats from Pinterest, without finding a winner. The first recipe didn’t call for enough liquid, so by time the oats had absorbed the liquid, it was a solid mass of oats. Not too appetizing! I was determined to get it right, since overnight oats make for an easy breakfast. I’ve played with a few ingredients to find my favorite and discovered the the right ratio of oats to milk. I also discovered that mashing the banana into the oats makes it creamier and less dense.
We make four servings at a time and it’s easier to mash the bananas and mix everything in a larger bowl, then divide into Mason/Ball jars. We’ve experimented with adding a little unsweetened cocoa powder (and a few mini chocolate chips) to this and, as expected, it only makes it tastier!
This makes for an easy breakfast for both of us to grab on the go. More importantly, our little man likes it too! I make them in 8 oz Ball jars so they store and travel well. These only take 5-10 minutes to prep the night before, so no excuse not to have a healthy and filling breakfast during the week! Enjoy them cold or warm!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 T natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 T ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 banana
- optional: 1/2 t honey
- 2 c old fashioned oats
- 2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 4 T natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 T ground flaxseed meal
- 2 bananas
- optional: 2 t honey, 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 T mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a small bowl, mash the banana and combine with the peanut butter.
- 2. Stir oats, almond milk and flaxseed meal together in the mason jar.
- 3. Stir in mashed banana and peanut butter and add honey.
- 4. Combine all ingredients then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Taste the oats before adding the honey to see if it is sweet enough for you. We use natural peanut butter, so I often add honey for a touch of sweetness. If you are using peanut butter that already has honey or sugar in it, you may not need to add it.