I’ve long been a fan of restaurant-style chicken marsala. Maybe it’s the flour-dredged sautéed chicken, the deglazed prosciutto, or the rich wine-reduction sauce. The flavors are quintessential Italian–what’s not to love?
This recipe combines our favorite elements from the classic dish, but with a twist. We use a dry rub on the chicken and grill it to perfection. This preparation keeps the chicken moist and provides enough flavor to stand on its own (with or without the sauce). The best part? You can make the dry seasoning ahead of time and keep on hand for easy grilled chicken on busy nights.
You can also make the marsala sauce a day ahead of time. Be sure to let the sauce simmer to allow the marsala wine to cook out. If making a day ahead, let the sauce cool to room temperature and cover in the refrigerator until needed. For best results, remove the chilled sauce, bring to room temperature and reheat while preparing the chicken.
- Chicken Seasoning
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1-1/4t course sea salt
- 1t fresh ground pepper
- 1/2t dried oregano
- 1/2t dried thyme
- 1/2t dried parsley
- 1/4t marjoram
- 1/4t garlic powder
- Marsala Sauce
- 3T butter
- 6 diced shallots
- 4c sliced mushrooms
- 2-1/4c marsala wine
- 3T soy sauce
- 2T wondra
- 1/4c half and half (optional)
- 1. Heat 2T of butter over medium high heat. Add diced shallots and stir for one minute. Reduce heat to medium to saute the shallots, stirring often (you want them to be translucent and not burned, black bits).
- 2. Once translucent, add in the sliced mushrooms and stir. Cover the pan to steam the mushrooms–when they reduce and look like canned mushrooms, add the marsala.
- 3. Bring the pan to a boil until about 1/2 the liquid is reduced, and the alcohol smell is gone.
- 4. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the soy sauce. Slowly sprinkle in the Wondra and whisk into sauce. When the sauce thickens, add 1/2t ground pepper. If you want a richer sauce, you can add the half-and-half and 1T of butter to melt throughout.
- 5. For the chicken, mix the dry seasoning together. Brush both sides of the chicken breasts with olive oil, and sprinkle the seasoning mix. Grill chicken on 450, turning once. Remove from grill and let rest under foil for 5 minutes.
- Serve by scooping the sauce directly over the chicken.